Flajaxian FileUploader run error on Firefox 3

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Hi Flajaxian,
    When I tried to create a webapplication use this tools. I writed 1 page by VS 2005 (C#), when I run it on Firefox 3, it got bug and close Firefox: it appeared a debugger popup with error: "An handled win32 exception occurred in firefox [352]"; but run normal on IE (but sometime couldn't upload file).

My code:
add register:  

<%

@ Register TagPrefix="fjx" Namespace="com.flajaxian" Assembly="com.flajaxian.FileUploader" %>

add control:
     <fjx:FileUploader ID="FileUploader1" runat="server" maxfilesize="1MB" maxfilequeuesize="4MB" >
            <Adapters>
                    <fjx:FileSaverAdapter Runat="server" FolderName="UploadFolder" />
            </Adapters>
    </fjx:FileUploader>

Can you help me fix it?
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM
What is your version of Flash Player. Do you get the same error when you go to http://flajaxian.com/flajaxian.com/docs/default.aspx#demo ? A similar problem was reported before when the Flash Player is damaged. One person installed a freeware program that reinstall a tamper version of Flash Player that caused a browser crache. The original Adobe Flash Player works fine. Let me know the details of your flash player.
Oct 7, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Exactly the same error as I am facing right now. IE7 works like a charm, FF 3 with newest Flash Player (fresh installation) crashes on most startups. Sometimes it works 5-10 times in a row, then it crashes permanently. The Demo Page works fine for me.
I'm encapsulating the Uploader in a Control with a custom Saver Adapter, but the crash occures when the page loads, before any interaction.
The control is located within an ajax Tabcontainer. Maybe the ajax is interfering with the control, but then I don't understand how it can work and the sometimes don't.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM
OK I will check with the latest Flash Player version, because now I don't get the error.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM
I have tried with the latest flash version and it works fine on my side. I will be trying with different computers and OSs. Can I ask a few questions that may help me find the problem.

1. What is your OS? Win Vista? XP? Mac?
Can you copy and show me the results from this page
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

2. Do you have other controls on the page? Is File Uploader first control or last or in the middle?
3. Do you get the same problem with Safari and Chrome?
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:44 PM
Sure:

Player Version: 9.0.124.0
Video / Audio / Local File I/O enabled: all true

I have some other controls on my page:
AJAX Tabcontainer (and a Tabpage accordingly), containing a Gridview and a ComboBox in an UpdatePanel. The Gridview update is wired to the combobox, and when the combobox changes a Property of my Uploader-Control becomes changed.
The Tabcontainer also contains my Uploader Control as the last control on the page.

Maybe it is important that my updater control uses a custom upload adapter, which is in the same assembly as the control. So for using it i referenced it in my control. To be more precise:
- The control and addapter are both in assembly foo.
- For using the Adapter in the control,  I reference foo in the control (which is also located in foo)
- I did this because placing the adapter in an extra assembly is not an option in my project

I'll try out safari and chrome soon.
Oct 7, 2008 at 4:54 PM
Addtional Info:

- Safari breaks in the same way as Firefox
- Chrome doesn't break

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:22 PM
And is your flash player Debug

See here http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:40 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM
Can you also check again here http://flajaxian.com/flajaxian.com/docs/default.aspx#demo  I just put there the latest dlls.

If you don't see it there most likly it is something else on the page. I just triesd Firefox with latest Flash on XP - I don't see a problem.

If you can attach a zip with your page that I can run I can give more info.
Oct 7, 2008 at 9:40 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2008 at 10:41 PM
I am also having the same problem.

firefox 3.0.3
flashversion: WIN 9,0,124,0
video/audio/io : yes

sometimes it works fine, other times it will crash firefox, and other times it looks like it's working and the file even gets uploaded to s3, but the OnFileRecieved callback is never called.

very odd issue.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2008 at 9:44 PM
And nobody has still answered my question: are you guys using a debug player on firefox? You can see it by visiting this page:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

Debug Player: Yes or No?
Oct 7, 2008 at 10:04 PM
not the debug player for me
Oct 7, 2008 at 10:08 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM
hi folks..

i have the same problem, it crash on firefox and safari.

I have windows xp with all updates.

on some point, all works fine, but after i edit some variables like buttons names, the componets crash...!

i've visited http://flajaxian.com/flajaxian.com/docs/default.aspx#demo, and firefox, safari and chrome didn't make it. The report and very strange error...
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Please try the latest source or binaries.

Two new properties have been introduced:
InitDelayMillisecondsIE and InitDelayMillisecondsNonIE

this is the delay of Flash - JavaScript connection initialization. I believe that causes FF to crash (this is a known Flash player bug). I increased the delay for non IE to 1400 milliseconds for IE it remains 300 You can change those values by setting the properties on the server. Let me know if you come up with different numbers
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:15 PM
flajaxian:

on the error console i got a weird warning:

Warning: Expected ':' but found 'undefined'.  Declaration dropped.

so i looked it up and this is what i found:

http://www.pat-burt.com/swfobject/swfobject-strange-validation-problem/

... i really hope this solves the problem.

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:22 PM
also, this is with the new version downloaded minutes ago.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:26 PM
Well first this is not related to currently discussed "run error on Firefox 3" and secondly this is not an error but warning so it won't cause any problems for execution of your code and I can look at it later as it is not urgent, but thanks for the link.
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:30 PM
then it seems that changing the InitDelayMillisecondsNonIE, does not solve the problem, i've tried low values and high values, from 10 (crashes immediately) to 5000 (it wont upload).
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM
Is it crashing if you don't use those properties at all? Then it is 1400?
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:39 PM
i havent had it crash using the default values yet.

there still exists a problem, maybe unrelated, where it doesnt seem like it actually uploads the file, the progress bar goes by very quickly and it looks like it's done, no file is uploaded.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:45 PM
"i havent had it crash using the default values yet. "

keep trying :)

Your issue sounds to me like related to this:

http://www.codeplex.com/FlajaxianFileUpload/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=30092
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:51 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2008 at 11:51 PM
you are the man.

it looks like that was the real issue here for me.  im now able to upload files with that fix in place.]

only one problem, i have to wait 1.4 seconds before i can press the browse button :)  i can live with that.

the browser hasnt crashed yet, i will let you know if it does.

thank you for helping solve this problem so quickly
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:56 PM
No problem,

one thing I can suggest is try decreasing the 1400 number to the point where it doesn't crash. Let us know what is the number for you.
Oct 8, 2008 at 6:14 AM
Edited Oct 8, 2008 at 7:03 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have something very strange for you:

Somewhere on my page, I have a div declared in an UpdatePanel like the following:
<div class="box_contents_noborder" style="overflow-y: scroll; height: 600px">...</div>

I used the updatepanel because the uploader also crashes when I'm performing some action on the grid in a postback, like updating the grid because a combobox value has changed. The grid gets its data from a Method in Code-behind
The Uploader is not inside of this div, but it contains a Gridview.

When I remove the height from the <div> the uploader reproducable does not crash and vice versa..
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2008 at 5:19 PM
This is because the uploader is initialy invisible with the height defined. In order to have the flash javascript connection initialized uploader has to be visible, but you can delay th initialization by using DoNotInitializeJavascript property and initializeing on client side manually.$0$0$0$0In the future releases we will separate Flash and the controls in two controls so you can put the flash separatelly but this one has this limitation of initialization having to be done when the control is visible.$0
Oct 9, 2008 at 3:50 AM
Thanks for discuss my problem.
There are my operation: flashversion: WIN 9,0,124,0
video/audio/io : yes; OS: WinXP, Debug Flash: No;
When run link http://flajaxian.com/flajaxian.com/docs/default.aspx#demo i got error and closed firefox.
I will try to change InitDelayMillisecondsNonIE to test it, but I have a question about your code:
  (!this.getIsIE()) && this.getIsPre115Version()) ? 1400 : 300; it's mean: 1400 is InitDelayMillisecondsNonIE and 300 is InitDelayMillisecondsIE?? but in function getIsPre115Version() had condition: (plVer['major'] == 9 && (plVer['minor']*115 + plVer['rev']) < 115). so plVer['minor']*115 + plVer['rev'] =?, it <115?

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2008 at 4:59 AM
Please get latest code. I had uploaded a wrong dll on the site by mistake.
Oct 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM
Edited Oct 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM
That great! :D. It's seem run well.

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2008 at 5:49 AM
Please get the latest dource or binaries as I've rearchitectured the flash initialization code and it should be more stable and reliable now.
Sep 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I use a div to display a custom message to the user while the control is uploading  ("Please wait while content is uploading").  This div covers parts of the Flajaxian file uploader.  The code works fine in IE and Chrome, but crashes or doesn't start uploading in Firefox.  I think it's the issue mentioned above with the uploader being invisible.  Is there any solution for this in Firefox?  Is there a way to reinitialize the uploader without clearing the items from the upload file list?